Apply     Visit     Give     |     Alumni     Parents     TCNJ Today

tcnj wordmark

Junior Math Major Named Google Scholar

Gina Pomann, a junior mathematics major, was named an Anita Borg Scholar and was awarded a $10,000 scholarship by Google.  Dr. Anita Borg (1949 – 2003) devoted her adult life to revolutionizing the way we think about technology and dismantling barriers that keep women and minorities from entering computing and technology fields. Her combination of technical expertise and fearless vision continues to inspire and motivate countless women to become active participants and leaders in creating technology. The Anita Borg Scholarship hopes to encourage women to excel in computing and technology and become active role models and leaders. Gina visits the Google headquarters in Mountain View, CA, from April 3-5 for workshops, social activities, and presentations.

Gina stated “I have worked very hard and overcome numerous obstacles to be where I am today and receiving this honor encourages me to continue. My favorite quote is, ‘Your work is to discover your work and then with all your heart give yourself to it’ by Buddha. This scholarship is giving me the opportunity to give myself to my work and follow my dreams with all my heart.”

Education started for Gina at a community college and from which she transferred to TCNJ.  She  thought that with a mathematics degree the only career option was teaching and, in her opinion, TCNJ was the best program for education. After taking an introductory statistics course and speaking to professors in the mathematics department about what she could do with a degree in the subject, she realized she could do much more with mathematics than she ever thought possible. She became especially interested in applied mathematics and statistics to learn how to apply math to daily life.

Gina has become deeply involved in the us of  computational methods to solve mathematical problems.   She conducted research last summer at the Mathematical Sciences Research Institute (MSRI) at Berkeley in California. She is now conducting statistical research in the neurobiology department at Princeton University. This summer, she will participate in a Vertical Integration of Research and Education (VIGRE) program, conducting research in the statistics department at Stanford University.

7ads6x98y Top